SYMPOSIUM SUMMARY: Le Temple-sur-Lot, France
Paris - Giverny (home of Monet's water garden), Le Temple-sur-Lot (home of the Latour-Marliac waterlily nursery) and Bordeaux
Wednesday August 21st
- Arrive in Paris., hotel accommodation near the Montparnasse train station for pre-symposium attendees.
- Evening IWGS Board meeting.
Thursday August 22nd
- Visit to the Monet waterlily murals at the Orangerie Museum, Paris.
- Visit to the Musée des Impressionnismes with lecture on Monet and Impressionist gardens by Caroline Holmes., visit and tour to Monet’s home and garden.
- Lunch and dinner in Giverny.
Friday August 23rd
- Morning departure from the Montparnasse train station via the high speed train and transfer to Le Temple-sur-Lot.
- $550 USD per person based on double / twin room occupancy
- $180 USD extra for single occupancy.
Main Symposium Dates: Friday August 23rd 2019 to Tuesday August 27th 2019
For the main symposium we will head towards the source of Monet’s legacy, the nursery whose colorful waterlily hybrids turned Monet’s pond into his signature subject. Located in the tiny village of Le-Temple-sur-Lot, the nursery created by Joseph Bory Latour-Marliac has been in continuous operation since he founded it in 1875. It is here, at the birthplace of contemporary water gardening in Europe, where we will stay to share our passion for water gardening in 2019.
Friday August 23rd
- Shuttle buses will depart from Agen on the 23rd starting at noon and will take you directly to our accommodations on the river Lot in bucolic Le Temple-sur-Lot, named after the Knight’s Templar, and home of the Latour-Marliac waterlily nursery.
- Arrival and check-in in Le Temple-sur-Lot at 4 PM for pre-symposium attendees,
- Accommodation in Le-Temple-sur-Lot at the Centre Omnisports with pool, gym, beach, hospitality room, restaurant and lots of outdoor space. T
- Welcome dinner at Latour-Marliac. The symposium hosts, the European Water Lily and Lotus Association (EWLA) and Latour-Marliac, will welcome us at the nursery Friday evening for an outdoor cocktail and barbecue dinner among the water lilies.
Saturday August 24th
- Seminars, panels and field presentations all day in Le-Temple-sur-Lot.
- Free access to the Latour-Marliac nursery and gardens, local museum visits possible.
- Champagne reception and visit of Bory Latour-Marliac’s original house in the village, which is largely untouched since his death in 1911.
- Dinner at the Commanderie, a 12th century bastion of the Knight’s Templar.
Sunday August 25th
- IWGS Annual General Meeting followed by additional seminars and workshops in the morning, Afternoon field trip to the Carsac-Aillac water gardens (in the Périgord), French gourmet dinner.
Monday August 26th
On Monday morning we will move towards southwestern France’s most vibrant and famous city: Bordeaux. We’ll visit vineyards and have lunch around the famous and picturesque wine producing town of Saint-Emilion. But Bordeaux is also home to at least two other wonders: its botanical garden, whose excellent aquatics section we will visit and… its French cuisine!
- Morning transfer to Bordeaux.
- Tour of the Bordeaux Botanical Gardens, lunch at a Saint-Emilion Grand Cru vineyard, horticultural presentation and wine tasting on site.
- Sightseeing in and around Bordeaux, Gala dinner at the Bordeaux Cité du vin (Wine City), Accommodation at a local hotel with late-night hospitality room.
- $865 USD per person based on double / twin room occupancy
- $150 USD extra for single occupancy
Post-Symposium Dates: Tuesday August 27th to 29th, 2019
The EWLA and member nurseries are inviting you to continue your journey as a followup to the main symposium. Main proposed destinations are around Nîmes, Marseille and the French Riviera.