IWGS NEW WATERLILY COMPETITIONS
WINNERS OF THE NEW WATERLILY COMPETITIONS 1997 - 2022
In order to promote interest in hybridizing new colors, forms, and increased frequency of blooms of various sizes of both tropical and hardy waterlilies, the IWGS conducts an annual competition where hybridizers display their new creations. This exciting competition has been held for 22 of the last 25 years, with approximately 40 hybridizers from 9 countries submitting over 200 entries. This has resulted in the introduction of noteworthy new hybrids: plants with unusual flower shapes and colors, new leaf patterns and colors and new viviparous lilies. Many of these new waterlilies are available for purchase, so be sure to keep your eye on these beauties as you will want to add these to your water garden.
Hybridizers entering this year's competition who wish to donate toward the operating costs of the contest can do so via the Paypal or Stripe buttons below. We are aware that some countries cannot use Paypal, and have found that the Stripe payment system will often work.
Thank you for your contribution.
Hybridizer Guidelines - Desirable traits that Judges look for:
- Unique/distinctive flower shape or colors that are not currently in plants available commercially.
- Unique/distinctive foliage shape or colors that are not currently in plants available commercially.
- Reliable and consistent bloomers - heavy blooming or improved blooming in similarly colored plants.
- Durability - ability to withstand hot or cold temperatures without adverse effects.
- Fragrance - pleasant but noticeable or intense fragrance.
- Absence of any deformities or irregularities (for both foliage and flower).
- Strong foliage that remains close to the tuber rather than elongated stems.
- Plant size including those that are particularly large or small.
- Any other distinct or unusual favorable characteristics.