The EWLA and member nurseries are inviting you to continue your journey as a followup to the main symposium. Main proposed destinations are around Nîmes, Marseille and the French Riviera.Nîmes, Roman city devoted to water, is the “French Rome”. With a direct non-stop train connection from Bordeaux, where the symposium ends with the gala dinner on Monday August 26th, EWLA member nursery Titus Nymphaeas, based nearby, is inviting you to a guided tour of Roman buildings, amazing water features and a friendly dinner.
- Transfer from Bordeaux to Nîmes by train on the morning of Tuesday August 27th. Direct trains (5 hours, with on-board restaurant service) are available at your convenience, departing at 6:30am, 10:30am and 12:30am from Bordeaux. Price: approx. 40 euros in first class coach.
- Titus Nymphaea will pick you up from the train station in Nîmes.
- Depending on your time of arrival, you will be able to participate in all or part of the sightseeing activities in Nîmes on the same day, including great Roman architecture (see https://www.nimes-
tourisme.com/en/discover/) and impressive water features (https://www.nimes-tourisme. roman-nimes.html com/en/monument/the-jardins-). de-la-fontaine.html
- Dinner in a local restaurant (we will offer a selection and submit it to a quick poll for attendees to choose), typical budget for a premium dinner in Nîmes is 30-45 euros per person.
- Hotel night (based on availability and registrations, most likely this one https://www.bestwestern.
com/en_US/book/hotels-in-), price approx. 100 euros for the night for double occupancy. nimes/best-western-le-marquis- de-la-baume/propertyCode. 93771.html
- On Wednesday 28th, transfer to the Anduze Bambouseraie (45 minutes) and visits all day in this exceptional exotic garden, one of Europe’s most awarded and praised gardens (http://www.bambouseraie.com/
en), which was created by a friend of Mr Latour-Marliac. The visit will be hosted by their botanical and aquatic plant specialist. Entry fee is approx. 12 euros per person.
Then, a choice will be offered:
Continue your journey to Marseille or Aix-en-Provence (short train trip, about 2 hours).
- There you can visit nearby EWLA member nursery « Le Jardin Nelumbo » (Lotus specialist) and/or continue to the Riviera towards Cannes and Nice. We will be offering recommendations and guidelines to help you with bookings, visits, etc… but that will be on your own, with our support.
- You can also end your post-symposium there and take a train or fly to Paris or another major European airports (we’ll be happy to help with recommendations).
Alternatively, we are offering a transfer (1.5 hours) to the Cévennes National Park (https://www.en.lozere-
- Light dinner and overnight stay in an exceptional medieval village (https://www.lagardeguerin.fr)
, recognized as one of France’s most breathtaking typical villages, approx. 70 euros for double occupancy.
- On Thursday August 29th in the morning until early afternoon, visit of the Titus Nymphaeas Nursery (home to one of France’s largest collection of hardy Nymphaeas, with more than 300 cultivars, see https://www.flickr.com/
- In the afternoon, at your convenience and depending on your fitness:
- Guided sightseeing in the National Park and neighboring medieval villages with minimal walking,
- Or hiking with a National Park ranger and botanist to discover the exceptional natural wetlands of the Park (requires minimal fitness but fine if you can walk about an hour on a forest path).
- Gourmet dinner by a local chef (approx. 35 euros).
- Then choose to extend your stay or not and whenever you’re ready we’ll arrange a transfer for you to wherever you want / need to go next to fly back. So you can plan to leave France on Friday August 30th (afternoon preferably) or later.Depending on the options you choose, your budget for the the post symposium will be approximately 300 – 500 euros in total for two persons (in total, not each).If you’re on a tight budget, or alternatively if you prefer premium options, we can help.We are organizing these post-symposium options based on raw costs charged by the various places, without adding anything, this is purely not-for-profit.For more information, travel assistance and registration for these informal post-symposium activities: email@example.com
We are looking forward to meeting all of you in France!